Carriers for Chain of Command

 The Too Fat Lardies have published some truly amazing rule sets, and on top of Bag the Hun, I enjoy Chain of Command: their platoon level WW2 rule set. Over the past year or two, I’ve slowly been working on both German and British forces, adding supports as I go along. I’ve been eyeballing the Operation Martlet and Scottish Corridor campaigns they produce, and so’ve been working to shore up the necessary support options. As always, on a budget, I try to make do where I can, procuring here and there; the Universal Carrier and the Sd. Kfz. 251, however, are both iconic and important for these campaigns, so I picked them up. 

First up: the Sd. Kfz. 251 “Hanomag”. This model is from Warlord, and comes with all the pieces to make the 251 plus a machine gunner. It doesn’t come with any additional passengers, so I may look into getting some just to indicate when a squad is occupying it. I painted it to match the rest of my late war German vehicles: a base of the yellowy dunkelgelb with a rough camouflage pattern. My Germans are a mix of early and late war uniforms (with the intent of being able to use them throughout most periods of the war with a little substitution here and there) and are also armed with both MG-34s and 42s. Likewise, I armed the 251 with 34s to give it the hodgepodge look of a later German army. 

The Hanomag with its gunner

And without the gunner

The other side of the carrier

Besides the 251, I also put together and painted a British Universal (or Bren) Carrier. Again from Warlord, this model also comes with four crew members, which I I magnetized for easy removal. I gave it the simple dark green paint job, adding some packs and other stowage to the sides.

The crewed Universal Carrier

The empty carrier 

Magnetized crew members

I was able to get both of these into a game recently that I hope to add to the blog pretty soon. 


Caleb

Comments