Operation Martlet: Preparation

My wife and I are looking to play our first Pint Sized Campaign (PSC): Operation Martlet, a campaign focusing on the 49th Infantry Division’s push south through Fontenay and the high ground near Rauray to secure the flank of a major push to the southwest of Caen (Operation Epsom). This Operation took place in late June 1944. 

Over the COVID season, I’ve been collecting the necessary models and working on the prevalent terrain. I had a Heer Infantry Platoon, but was lacking the machine guns to turn it into a Panzergrenadier platoon. It’s not going to be accurate to the uniforms of the 12SS, but I’m not worried about that. Likewise, I had to bulk up my British platoon, to bring them to full strength from the smaller Motorized Platoon to the full up infantry platoon. On top of that, I picked up some of the armor that appears in the campaign, but also was happy to proxy tanks in (I didn’t feel I’d ever use two Panthers at the same time ever again, so decided I only needed one). 

For terrain, I was missing any type of high walls, so I made a few feet of that, though I’ll probably need to make more for later scenarios. Additionally, I made barrage markers using the clump foliage technique for when we inevitably drop mortar barrages on one another. Lastly, I started work in some scatter terrain in the form of flower boxes, log cutting piles, and outhouses, though I’d really like to have a lot more. I personally feel scatter terrain, while it may not change the tactical aspects of the table much, it really adds to the life of the table. Lastly, I’m working on finishing up more trees, but I’m getting started on the campaign without as many as I’d like. If you haven’t seen John Bond’s war gaming blog (http://iagsmgm.blogspot.com/), I highly recommend it for the amazing things he’s created and the tutorials he attaches.

One of the flower beds

A barrage falls on a country lane

Some higher walls

We had been putting off the campaign due to lack of terrain and being able to identically replicate the table, but we decided we were at a point to begin the campaign with a few imperfections in terrain. That said, we’re taking some liberties with the terrain based on what we have, but we’re trying to stay true to the tactical implications of the terrain. For instance, the first map has a tree lined lane, but since we’re lacking the required number of trees, we lined the lane with light fences, which gives a bit of light cover while delineating the road’s boundaries. 

Lastly, I had to give The Sharp End and Operation Martlet a thorough read through with some note taking. I feel like I’ve got a decent idea of what we’re getting into, but I’m sure we’re missing some stuff. Well find out along the way! Anyway, I hope to get our first report up within the week. See you then!


Caleb

Comments