The First Transport is Away

Recently finished up some transports for both the Americans and Germans in the form of 2x C-47s and 2x Ju 52s.

The C-47 is in the standard olive paint scheme, but without any invasion stripes. I gave each their squadron identification and individual radio call ID, but looking back, I would’ve chosen a different squadron identifier. It was intended to read as U5, but in painting it came out looking like US. Not a major issue, just a small laugh I had at myself after painting. 



The Ju 52 has always seemed an interesting plane to me, with its trimotor design. I had trouble determine the proper paint scheme for one of these as the war progressed, so I went with what I thought looked the most interesting (and attainable), which is the yellow accented green. The yellow was a real struggle to get on top of the dark green, but after many coats, it finally covered sufficiently. It’s tough to tell from the picture, but these are modeled with a Luftwaffe gunner watching the plane’s rear sector, which is a fun detail to paint. 



These will primarily be objectives and targets within our Bag the Hun games, especially since the Squadron Forward supplement has air transports as a possible mission objective in the campaign. 

I’m quite sure the pictures (and my painting) don’t do these models justice, but they are a sight to behold especially when lined up with some of the Bf 109s or P-47s. These being finished, all that’s left for this project are 12 B-17s, which’ll hopefully be an intimidating formation on the table top. 


Caleb

Comments